I am back to training for Ironman Florida. Now that I am able to run 10 miles with out stopping I have a new plan:
Here is my Race Plan for 12 steps to ultimate SUCCESS:
- It’s all about the taper. I’m going to taper for 3 months before the event to make sure my muscles are REALLY RESTED for the effort.
- Don’t worry, to build confidence, the day before the race I will bike the entire 112 mile course and run half the marathon slightly below race pace, just to make sure I can do it.
- Nutrition: I’m going to eat 5 gallons of pasta with meat sauce at 10pm the night before the race to carbo load. I will also have a bottle of wine.
- Although I will be bar hopping the night before to celebrate the upcoming race, I know that the more sleep possible, the better- so I will be waking up 8 minutes before the race and skip breakfast to save time
- In order to keep things interesting on the course, I am going to try all new gels, powders, vitamins and energy drinks. I deserve variety on my race day.
- I want to get a head start, so I’m going to definitely go out as fast as possible in all three events and if anyone tries to pass me- I won’t let it happen.
- I’m going to skip the aid stations, since stopping at those will just slow me down
- I think C02, a spare tube, bike tools etc would weigh my bike down. To shave grams off my load and speed things along, I won’t be carrying those heavy supplies. It will save me 3 minutes off my time.
- When it gets dark on the run, I will get some beer from my special needs bag. Beer always gave me energy back in college and helped me stay awake all night.
- I’m going to buy all new things at the expo the night before- new wheels, new pedals and shoes, a new wetsuit, and definitely a new breathable 100% cotton outfit for the race
- I will buy a power meter the day before the race. I’m sure I can figure out how to use it while I’m out on the long course.
- I plan on getting a nice tan to show off when I get back to Richmond , so I’m going to forego any sun block whatsoever.